Sunday 7 December 2008

thursday's post, this was the day I was in london

I got up at about 6.30AM on thursday, it was a weird day, I needed to be out of the house by 7.00AM because it was the art trip

Breakfast

  • nope, I didn't even have time to have my advent callender

Lunch 1.25PM (approx, not near a clock)

  • my dad gave me an extra sandwich on thursday which was very nice of him - it was packed in an old ice-cream tub to make room, which I really like because it was a nice change. The sandwich I had was the salami one in a sesame seed bun (I wanted the chorizo one but salami is still much better than other cold meat)
  • I also had some carrot sticks
  • some orange juice
  • and a scone that could of been really nice but one of my mum's bloody face packs made it taste like soap so I couldn't finish it

Dinner 6.50PM (approx because of no clock, could have been a lot later)

  • we went to somewhere called the giraffe cafe for dinner, it reminded me of a nandos, just owned by a different kind of person

Starter

  • for my starter I had warm naan (it actually was warm, which was impressive) with humus and a little bowl of little bits of lettuce, celery, cucumber, carrots and pepper (red and yellow)
  • the naan bread was really well balanced, not greasy at all and had a very light, but full texture. The humus wasn't really up to much, it tasted so cluttered, like there was too much going on. The humus had pumpkin seeds sitting around it on the top, this was all a bit much considering all the other stuff rolling about in it too (it was quite loose as well)
  • the salad was really quite nice, it was all really fresh and cut into the perfect little size for dipping in the humus which was brilliant - also a girl gave me her salad because she said she didn't like it, that was cool but I couldn't even finish mine anyway

Main course

  • for my main course I had something like a deluxe felafel burger, which came with some chips and a little (really tiny, but full up) dish of some kind of red, almost chili, tomato relish thing
  • the burger was a real let down, it tasted like something I would spend 6 hours making then pretend to like. the burger its self was massive, it didn't look very tall but it was certainly too big to fit in my mouth (I suppose this is half of the fun) it was what seemed to be a poppy seed bun (not that great, but it was very much edible) with half the kitchen's contents crammed inside it. The key thing I remember is about 3 different sauces, one which seemed to be a really sweet but kind of delicate mayonnaise that could have worked well on its own but there was some kind of beetroot juice rolling around in there for some reason
  • the falafel its self wasn't all that either, instead of one burger, there was a number of fairly small falafel nuggets (I knew because one fell out) I don't know if this is really important, but worth mentioning, they were dry, and crumbly with a breadcrumb like texture, they were nothing like the falafel you get in the wraps at eat
  • the chips were very nice, slightly floppy and really fluffy and nice tasting, they tasted like they weren't home cooked, but I think that can be a real positive thing though
  • the relish stuff was really nice and worked really well, it was kind of let down by the fact both it, and the chips were in separate dishes, on the same plate that the burger was on but I suppose thats what people like to see, in the end I couldn't even finish the meal, the portions were so big

Pudding

  • nah, I didn't order one because I thought i'd be too full, and this was right

Drinks

  • I didn't want to have anything alcoholic so I chose coke, it was brilliant how it came in glass bottles, and then they even brought us glasses to pour it in which was wonderful, but my hands were shaking like crazy for some reason

Over all

  • I don't often go to restaurants, and I suppose this is the first time in many years I have been to one so I don't know if i'd be the right judge of service, but everyone who served us seemed really nice, and everything arrived nice and quickly.
  • I think my meal was probably about £12-15 which isn't bad, but I don't really think the food was up to much at all, I wouldn't go again out of choice but nothing there was terrible, its just there didn't seem to be much need for a lot of the stuff they used

Snacks

  • it was so late that when I got back all I had was my advent calender (turkish delight I think) but on the train ride back I had a couple of murray's mints

No comments: