Tuesday 17 February 2009

monday's post, finally figured out what the polish wafers were

today I got up at about about 9.10AM to go charity shopping and look for more polish snacks, I didn't have any luck at the charity shops but I found a lot more polish things which was wonderful, I later went out which was wonderful too

Breakfast

  • nope I didn't have anything for breakfast because I wanted to get out of the house quickly

Lunch

  • we went to subway for lunch, I really wanted to ask for a vegetable patty (seems the most strange and interesting thing to try) but I was intimidated by the whole process and shop its self again so I just went for the 3 cookies for 99p thing, I wanted one of those double chocolate chip ones or whatever (the black cookies) but the man put the wrong one in the bag, he was quite ready to put the right one in the bag for me but I for some reason rolled over and accepted the white chocolate and nuts cookie whilst my friend had the one I really wanted - I really really really hate subway, i've got to man up when I go in there, I went in wanting a strange and complex sub with maybe a cookie for pudding, and I came out with a cookie that not even a man crippled with chocolate fueled anxiety would pick

Dinner 6.45PM

  • dinner was lovely, for ages my dad has been trying to perfect his pork satay sticks, and I really think these were lovely, instead of cooking the pork on their sticks with the coating already on them, he put it in a separate little bowl, it was smooth peanut butter and some other stuff like soy sauce, sweet chili sauce and lemon juice which was all very nice and I enjoyed spreading it on
  • on the plate he pit a slice of lemon, I also used this on the sticks
  • there were also some pieces of lettuce on my plate, I ate these first so hot and cold didn't touch though
  • there was also some garlic naan bread, on nearly every piece I put on as much of the sauce as I could evenly spread
  • after this I had a very nice banana

Snacks 7.40PM+

  • I started with the stuff we got at a polish shop earlier in the day, more of those polish wafers, tesco only offers the vanilla ones which is a bit annoying, the polish place has an amazing range though, and i'll be going back there very soon I think - I bought plain/dark chocolate wafers (when I say a flavour it means the pastey/creamy stuff inside them was a certain flavour, the wafers are all one flavour) which were amazing, the chocolate tastes like an improved american chocolate, plain and not incredibly sweet when you first bite into it, cocoa flavoured (the actual flavour of the wafer) then leaving you with an irresistible sweet flavour, of course we finished the whole packet in one night
  • this next one is very odd, we also got some mysterious purple packaged wafers, being too embarrassed to ask what the packaging meant, I just hoped it wasn't meat paste inside them - I now exactly what the paste was but i'll describe it by what I felt on monday - its kind of dulled in colour, kind of like mushed up tuna, and it has an incredibly weird taste, like its a punishment in the wafer world, like I have to learn to love it - i'm thinking this because when you first bite into it, it tasted like some kind of seed or something you'd use to scent a room, then you feel like you've bitten into some kind of fragrant spice or even some lovely sweet peas, and after that the whole thing tastes very sweet - i'm still not really sure if I like them at all, I kept having them to try and identify the taste but I just felt like I was eating flowers

---

after some googling i've found that the wafers are actually halva flavour, which I think (again guessing from google) is a sweet usually made from sesame seeds with sugar/honey, I suppose this explains the unusual and kind of pea like sweetness but it still doesn't make me like them

2 comments:

dj said...

Interested again by your aversion to not eating hot and cold together. I see what you mean by not having them in the same mouthful or whatever, but do you eat the lettuce first before eating the hot stuff or what? I used to eat things in reverse order of what I liked, now I kind of eat them in more proportion, but certainly not like Masterchef, where they make sure they get everything on one fork.

i want one so badly said...

my mum does the eating in reverse order thing its mad

if its a roast dinner when I was little I used to eat the roast potatoes first becuase they were the best

now I eat meat first, I can't stand meat going cold but its ok if peas and carrots go luke warm

I'd eat the lettuce first if it was on the same plate as anything hot, especally hot meat, I hate the idea of something like hot juices from a pork chop flooding salad, making it warm, limp and slimey.

also, masterchef are pussies, they like the people who practice smiling in the mirror, but they practice eating - you know baldie??? no-one drags out taking a bite like that, hes a poser trying to stuff 6 things on his fork like he hasn't eaten in a week.